Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79 adam79 is offline

Default Mackie Onyx 1640i, Allan and Heath ZED R16 (and other $2000 mixers)

I've been checking out Mixers. There seem to be a couple good ones for
$2000 or less. I've been reading that the Mackie Onyx 1640i was marketed
as a live mixer that works well as a recording mixer.. while the Allan
and Heath ZED R16 is the opposite; made as a recording mixer that works
well as a live one.

Anyways, I've read that while the 1640i has a better routing section and
outputs for every channel, while the ZED has better preamps, and also
MIDI capability, although I don't use MIDI, I might in the future. The
MIDI doesn't matter to me. Also, it doesn't matter that the 1640i is PT
M-Powered compatible, while the ZED isn't. I can always record into
Reaper and then transfer the files into Pro Tools (without a loss in
sound quality) for editing/mixing.

Anyone have ant experience w/ either unit? Suggestions? Also, if I
overlooked any other mixers in this price range, please tel. I'm
planning on using this mixer for my studio centerpiece.

Thanks,
-Adam