Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Gentner DH20 digital hybrid (telephone balance unit) notoutputting to phone line

On Mar 27, 10:56*am, Tony Whitmore wrote:
Hi Scott,

On Mar 27, 2:41*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Tony Whitmore wrote:
Its a second hand unit, which was believed to have been working at the
time I got my hands on it. However, it has been in storage for a while
and this is the first time I've tried to get it up and running.

Okay, clean the hookswitch relay, before doing anything else. *If it used
to work, and it has been in storage a long time and doesn't work, contact
corrosion is the first thing to worry about.

I'm quite experienced with a bottle of contact cleaner! I'll clean the
various socket contacts, although the inside of the unit looked
pristine when I opened it.

I'm not sure how to tell if it is drawing current off the line. It
certainly interrupts a call in progress and maintains the connection
when "On".

If you can call someone, hang up the phone, pick it back up and they
are still there, then it's drawing current off the line and taking the
line off-hook.

I'll test this ASAP.

There are some schematics in the manual, but it doesn't help me much
not being an electronic engineer. I've taken the lid off and there
are no visibly damaged components, no burnt-out chips etc.

Call your local broadcast tech!

I don't have one, hence looking for recommendations for one!

Thanks,

Tony

does it matter if the red and green may be reversed?

some phone gadgets don't like that, some don't care...

Mark