Jim Mauro

Default $1200 for speaker cables?

Actually, $1200.00 may be considered moderate by todays
standards. Speaker cables can easily run into 5 figures
in cost.

No, I can not afford, nor hear the difference, between a good
quality cable, and a super high-end big-dollar cable.

And, of course, you can add some esoteric cable elevators -
little porcelain cups with a 'U' shape on the top to lay the
cable in, thus elevating the cable off the floor. The "golden
ears" run out of breath spewing accolades on the wonders of
improved clarity, space, etc, produced by raising your speaker
cables a inch or so off the floor.

Sorry. I don't get it. No, I never actually auditioned cable
elevators...

/jim

Alan Browne wrote:

Louisiana Audiophile wrote:

How in the world can a pair of *cables* cost the same as a decent
pre-amp/amp combo (e.g., Adcom)? Or is this just marketing thinking
that "if someone wants to blow this kind of cash, we'll give him
something to blow it on"?

There are those who defend these "wonderful" cables but I rely on the
opinion of a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer, audiophile
and musician. I rely on him 'cause I can't hear the difference. And
it's the hearing that counts.

Others will reply to your/this thread that people with the right ear can
discriminate. So either it is hokum or they should only be bought by
people who *can* discriminate.

Of course, nobody who has plopped out the cash for these things would
admit that they cannot discriminate the difference.

MHO.

Cheers,
Alan.