Briel

says...

Hi, Bill,

Would you believe that Middius beat you to it!! My god,
Middius!! I made the deletion OK using his info. I have no
idea why he was so helpful. Probably a weak moment on his
part.

As I noted before, the weird thing about this is that when I
pulled up the message from the archives, the message ID was
listed as noted:

No other data was there, and certainly not the monumental
amount you listed. Not only do we have those three dots in
the number field, but we also have completely different
numbers in front of them. How did you (and Middius) come up
with that different number?

Well, this may be useless knowledge for you now, but here's the way to
view the whole header: most newsreaders suppress the whole header, but
have some way to reveal it. In google, there's an option to view the
message in "Original format" - actually, I wasn't aware that google
groups behaved that way (I never use google groups, except to search for
things of interest).

While it's hardly intuitive, the "Original format" shows the header. In
most newsreaders it's something simple like "View full header".

Many thanks for your effort, in any case. If you ever want
to chat about audio in general, I am at:

Thanks! I'll probably take you up on that though you may find that I
don't have too much to say at this stage except ask a ton of questions -
I've only become interested in audio in the last 8 months or so and I
find that I've got an awful lot to learn.

I use this instead of the AT&T address for regular email,
because the spam filter on the latter is not that good and
for some reason people who write me there keep getting
"mail-box full" messages. Probably some damned worm or
virus, or whatever. I only use it for newsgroup work and
sending article drafts to my editors.

What lay ahead? Well, I have a few more product reviews to
write for the magazine, and a few more recording reviews,
too, and then it is likely that I will be dropping out of
the audio-journalism business. I know that I have told
people that I will keep going for a long time, but I mainly
said that to annoy some of them.

I believe that the hobby is not in all that good a shape
these days, and I simply do not want to be a part of it any
more. I am not all that demoralized, because I enjoy the
systems I have and I have well over 1,000 discs here that I
would like to spend time listening to. I will leave it to
the more pugilistic objective types to deal with the
irrational in audio from now on.

Well, I wish you well - and I expect you will be hearing from me as
questions arise!

Cheers,

Bill