Ivan Lopez

Default ICE Topic of the Week - Component vs. Two/Three/Four-way/Coaxial Spealers

Some feel that one is better than the other. I personally have had both
components and coaxial and can say from experience that one is not better
than the other. Components do allow for more installation options to try
and best setup imaging and sound stage. Each vehicle is different and so
that is what really defines how a speaker will perform.

One thing I have noticed is the importance of off-axis listening. When a
speaker is listened to on a demo board, it is usually on-axis and will sound
excellent, but when placed in a vehicle it will exhibit a different sound.
This is primarily due to the fact that if the speaker is placed in a factory
location (eg. lower door) the listener is now off-axis from the speaker.
Usually a speaker will sound different (some will say distorted or harsh at
higher volumes) compared to its on-axis sound.

I've noticed this with serveral speakers. If I place my head down lower
between both speakers everything sounds fine even at volume. Now if I move
back to the drivers seat I notice the 2-4khz region to be quite harsh. One
way to fix that is to place or buy some kick panel enclosures which will
then place these speakers on-axis (or closer to that) and should sound fine.

Some manufacturers actually spend time designing for off-axis listening
(some Pioneer and Bazoka coax and components) because of the fact that the
speakers will end up in factory locations which will be off-axis.

Also I've noticed that the difference between coax and components is
narrowing. Take a look at JL Audio's line of speakers (and probably
others). The TR,VR and XR series of speakers come in both component and
coax lines, each using the SAME drivers as its counterpart. So the argument
that the drivers and/or materials used in components is better than in
coaxials is no longer the limiting/deciding factor.

"EFFENDI" wrote in message
I.C.E. School now in effect.

Topic for this week is choosing speakers.

Many people choose component speakers with outboard crossover modules
for their sound quality and imaging advantages over other types of
speakers. Two way coaxials are popular for their ease of installation.
The debate is up in the air. What would you reccomend??

Please share your opinions/experiences/information/suggestions on
component speakers versus two/three/four-way (no, i'm not talking about
sex here) or coaxial speakers.

Lets help the newbies!

EFFENDI

---