sanitarium

Default ICE Topic of the Week - Component vs. Two/Three/Four-way/CoaxialSpealers

Wish I could tell you Mark... I think they may have been owned by harman
intl, recoton, Jensen. or some other "big guy". At the time Jensen
owned phase linear and made graphite conponent speakers, if that gives
you any time frame... think 90-91.

The speakers I heard are of the same design principle as the KEFs
referenced in the other post, where the tweeter rests in the voice coil
of the woofer and is planar with the woofer.

They had a metallic tweeter... gold/aluminum colored.

Thats all I remember. Let me ask my brother, and search the www.

They weren't the bassiest speakers Ive heard but clarity above 200Hz was
excelent.

Garrett

Mark Zarella wrote:
IMHO more important than WHAT is installed is HOW its installed.
Minimize path length differences between the right and left and both can
image very well and produce most of the audible spectrum.

...among other things. Yes, the way it's installed is more important.
From my own observations, 95% of professional installers do not have
the know-how to properly install a set of speakers. No, this is not
an exaggeration. I don't recall it ever being this bad in the past.
Maybe some old farts like Eddie would like to tell us more about the
good ol' days?

The best coax's Ive heard were about 10 years ago made by Acoustic
Research (AR).

Which AR was this? The old AR owned by Teledyne(?), or the new crap?

They were unique in that the voice coil for the woofer
and tweeter were at the same plane. The idea was to minimize the phase
difference between the woofer and tweeter to increase transient clatity.

It's the diaghrams that matter, not the coils.