Mark Zarella

Default ICE Topic of the Week - Component vs. Two/Three/Four-way/Coaxial Spealers

Kevin feel free to expand the thread as you want to. Its not my thread I
just started it.

Yeah, this is the thread where we're supposed to be all long-winded
and stuff.

I do think some discussion should be had about factory
vs. custom speaker locations. Lets NOT start arguments,and it is easy to
avoid them, think about who we are trying to help. I also think you
should explain what point-source means. (I dont completely understand
myself)

I'm not Kevin, but I'll say something about it anyway. Maybe Kevin
has a clearer explanation, and if so he can just tell me to shove it.
Point-source is exactly what the name implies: the source (of the
sound) should come from a single point. Well, of course this is
impossible because a speaker has a finite size, but in the context of
this thread it refers to separated speaker components being oriented
in such a manner as to best reproduce the "point-source" concept.
This is important because it minimizes the negative influences of two
waveforms unfavorably interacting at a given point in space (the
listener's ear - wherever it may be in relation to the speakers).

I purposely posted a broad topic in the hope that some of the "less
experienced users" (is that ok instead of dropping the "N" bomb) can
read this thread and see all the options available. Hopefully to help
them make a decision on what route to go.

The fact is a custom installation is not for everyone and sometimes
stock speaker locations sound excellent. As a matter of fact more car
manufacturers are using component sets in the "premium" audio options.
Eg. Lexus' Mark Levinson system. BMW Harman Kardon system. With very
good imaging and sound quality.

Let me add the newer Caddy Bose systems. The speakers are IMO
lacking, but they do a tremendous job of creating a good soundstage
with their placement.