Daniel Stocker

Default ICE Topic of the Week - Component vs. Two/Three/Four-way/Coaxial Spealers

I would like to emphasise the importance of factory locations for speakers
(for those who don't appreciate this point already). I have a fairly
standard family car, a Honda Civic 4 door sedan. The factory locations for
the fronts are low in the doors, near to the hinge of the door. The stock
configuration has the front speakers mounted parallel/flush with the door. I
replaced the stock 6.5" woofers with two way Blaupunkt co-axials and noted a
HUGE improvement! But after listening for a while, the highs still sound
like they're in the footwells (they are really!) and so I'm going to get
some components ASAP for the sheer reason that I'll be able to set up my
"soundscape" (did I use that term correctly?) a helluva lot better so my
highs sound like they're in front of me around head(ish) level so that I
don't have to grow ears in my feet!
I imagine that should my factory locations have been angled up towards the
driver and passenger (as opposed to their feet), there would be a
significant improvement.
I was considering manufacturing some custom mounts that angled the Blaupunkt
integrated two-ways up towards the driver, but this would protrude the
speakers into the footwell, increasing the chance of damage (some of my
careless friends sometimes kick quite close to this area as they are closing
the door).
Also, I'm not entirely fond of kick whatever mounts, they just don't do it
for me.

Just My Thoughts
Cheers,
Daniel

"EFFENDI" wrote in message
I.C.E. School now in effect.

Topic for this week is choosing speakers.

Many people choose component speakers with outboard crossover modules
for their sound quality and imaging advantages over other types of
speakers. Two way coaxials are popular for their ease of installation.
The debate is up in the air. What would you reccomend??

Please share your opinions/experiences/information/suggestions on
component speakers versus two/three/four-way (no, i'm not talking about
sex here) or coaxial speakers.

Lets help the newbies!

EFFENDI