Kevin Murray

Default ICE Topic of the Week - Component vs. Two/Three/Four-way/Coaxial Spealers

I wanted to mention the KEF UniQ line in my previous post (but decided to
keep it short). I have a set of KEF home speakers using the UniQ design
philosophy and they still impress me after 12 years. It's the closest design
I have seen to a point source, aside from a single cone (full range)
speaker.

Just to add two more cents to this discussion, a single cone speaker is near
ideal for low volume listening. Putting one in a vented enclosure will limit
the low frequency excursion (tuning the port is critical in this case) and
will keep Doppler problems under control. At least until the listener begins
to crank up the power, then all bets are off. I built a set of garage
speakers to test this theory after reading a Floyd Toole paper on the
subject of "point source". I'll concede it's not an ideal listening
environment, but I think they sound great at a reasonable volume.

Many of you would no doubt laugh at my suggestion of low volume listening,
but once again each unto his own. When I'm waiting to pick up my g/f from
work with my stereo on and the engine off I'm grateful that my system
behaves itself during quiet passages. No hiss, ticks, rattles or ridiculous
idle current.

On the topic of HOW being better than WHAT you install... I'd agree that how
is more important than what, but this thread was started to discuss the
choices available (mainly for the newbies-gawd I hate that word) and I
suspect another ICE topic will be started regarding factory location vs.
attempting a custom install. No disrespect intended towards the poster, his
point was certainly valid. I just wanted to bring this to light before an
internet argument starts in a thread intended to help people with speaker
choices. I think this ICE is a great idea and I'd like to see it continue.

My two cents
Kevin Murray

"EFFENDI" wrote in message
I.C.E. School now in effect.

Topic for this week is choosing speakers.

Many people choose component speakers with outboard crossover modules
for their sound quality and imaging advantages over other types of
speakers. Two way coaxials are popular for their ease of installation.
The debate is up in the air. What would you reccomend??

Please share your opinions/experiences/information/suggestions on
component speakers versus two/three/four-way (no, i'm not talking about
sex here) or coaxial speakers.

Lets help the newbies!

EFFENDI