Eric Desrochers

Default Subwoofer direction

Eddie Runner wrote:

well ok then, placement of the woofer, not the box...
If you aim a woofer *box* at you the woofer will be at point X
if you aim the woofer box away from you keeping the *box*
in the exact same place, the woofer will move to the other side of
the box, and the woofer will now no longer be at X, it will be
the width of the box further away from you....

So, aiming a woofer is usually achieved by turning the box, its
not actually the aiming of the woofer that makes the differences
we hear, but instead, its the position of the woofer changing relative
to the vehicle and our listening area in the vehicle...

And as pinted out in my cartoons, aiming the box IS moving
the woofer.... (TYPICLY)....

It would be in a small car, but say you have some mini-van. Turning the
box over would only marginally change the distance from you.

If you really meant "moving", you should have used that term. I guess
I'm overly nitpicking about the terms!

Good enough, I guess it was stupid of me to assume you read my
paper and understood that although the paper is titled AIMING
it is really about POSITIONING the woofer....

it sounds like were on the same page, I think if you had taken 2 minutes
to read my article on this you would have been quick to agree ...

I did read your page.

Eddie Runner
http://installer.com/tech/aiming.html

BTW, I titled the article AIMING because thats what the kiddos percieve
as the change, even though anyone that reads the article can easily see its
really position of the woofer itself that matters.... If I called the
article something
else, all the kids that turn the box around backwards in thier trunk and AIM

the woofer to the rear would probably never find my article....

I think that "placement of a sub enclosure in cars" is as catchy that
"aiming a sub..." but it's just me!

BTW, I browsed to your other papers too. Interesting stuff! Especially
the part about the tight bass! Often confused with frequency response
anomalies, like you pointed out, or the damping of the system. I always
laught when I hear about 8 inches being more tight than 12 inches!

Regards,
--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95