Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

Default 1'8" Stereo to RCA Sound Quality

"JBones" wrote in message
oups.com...
I can connect an MP3 player to my home stereo using an 1/8" stereo to
RCA jack, but I'm not satisfied with the sound. The signal seems low
with too much bass. Even when I boost the volume on the MP3 player to
about 3/4 full, I still have to crank the receiver volume much higher
than I do with a direct RCA to RCA input device. I've tried this with
two different MP3 players with the same result. Is there simply a loss
of quality going from 1/8" to RCA? Any suggestions to improve the
sound quality are appreciated. Thanks.

Stop plugging the headphone out jack on an MP3 player into your stereo?

But seriously, most of the time this will work, but I've found it likely
you'll have to disable any volume limiter on the MP3 player (commonly found
on MP3 players to limit the output to the factory supplied ear buds so the
buyer doesn't lose their hearing), disable any equalization on the MP3
player (which could be the source of too much bass), and turn the volume all
the way up.

Do all of this and you're getting closer to what a line level input would
want, but the headphone out jack is still not a real line level output.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)