Default imaging on recording

"BEAR" wrote in message
davidb1 wrote:

What type of localization of images is possible on a recording? Up,
down, back, forward, left and right? Is it possible to say for sure?

On "a recording"?

Anything you can sucessfully sample at a high enough sample rate - ie.
enough mics and speakers...

On a *stereo* recording there is only Left & Right. Everything else is an
illusion recreated by your mind to comply with your previously learned
auditory view of the world. The recording provides cues that permit you to
"decode" the sound into something other than mere left and right.

But having said that, there is no possibility of up or down with a stereo
speaker placement. Left, right, center, front and back are the possible
decoding options for your ear/mind combo. You can get far left, far right
with out of phase signals too.

What would cause an image to shift up or down when appying EQ/ I heard this
happen many years ago when demosnstrating one to a potential customer. I
was standing to the left of both speakers at the time and the customers in
front of them, we all heard thesame effect.