Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Frank is offline

Default 45 to 78

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 12:19:21 +1000, in 'rec.audio.pro',
in article 45 to 78,
"Trevor" wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
.. .
Most phono pre-amps use CR feedback networks and could easily be modified
as
an alternative to building or buying a new one. Not a job for everyone of
course :-)

Here are a couple of specialty products designed for accurate playback
of older recordings, including 78 RPM records.

78 RPM and RIAA Preamplifier
http://www.vadlyd.dk/English/RIAA_an...PM_preamp.html

The Vadlyd MD12 Mk3 comes from Denmark and is distributed in the U.S.
by Master Digital Corporation of Covington, Louisiana.

Vadlyd MD12 Mk3 78 rpm & RIAA Phono Preamplifier
http://www.masterdigital.com/24bit/vadlydmd12.htm

And from KAB Electro - Acoustics in Plainfield, New Jersey, there's
the KAB Souvenir EQS MK 12.

KAB Souvenir EQS MK 12
http://www.kabusa.com/eqsmk12.htm

Both of these are higher-end products. The Vadlyd MD12 Mk3 is priced
at USD $1,960.00 and the KAB Souvenir EQS MK 12 is USD $1625.00.

I've never used either, but if I ever found myself in a situation
where I was performing serious 78 RPM record transfers, I'd certainly
consider them.

Are you a millionaire then,

No, but 99 percent of my immediate neighbors are. (Seriously.)

Not that that has anything to do with this, as it doesn't.

or do you mean performing transfers for a price
for other rich people?

I do not own a single 78 RPM recording, but if I did, and especially
if I owned many 78 RPM recordings, and I cherished them and I wanted
to perform a highly-accurate and good-sounding analog to digital
transfer on them, I would seriously consider the Vadlyd unit.

I've easily spent way north of $50K on personal electronics in my
lifetime and $1960 is not more than I would consider spending.

If I were offering it as a professional service, then there would be
no question about getting the Vadlyd unit.

Do you think spending ~$2k on a preamp alone will
turn your 78's into something sublime?

Was that a rhetorical question? Of course not, and having the best
equipment available but not knowing how to properly use it won't help
to produce high quality results either. The settings need to be
correct for each individual record being transferred.

What would you spend on the actual
turntable/cartridge/stylii selection, which is far more important?

If buying new, probably no more than $2K to $4K.

Also, and at a much lower price point of USD $635.00, there's the
Model 4010 Preamplifier (aka "The Restoration Preamp") from TDL
Technology, Inc. of Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Model 4010 (aka "The Restoration Preamp") Preamplifier
http://www.tdl-tech.com/data4010.htm

Still seems expensive to me, but each to their own.....

I didn't intent to upset you. Trevor. I was just posting information,
that's all. Lot's of people read these newsgroups, you know, and in
many cases years later on Google Groups, so there's a historical
element involved as well.

I was most certainly not suggesting that you rush out and purchase one
of these products.

As best that I could recall, no one in this thread had previously
posted anything about this class of product, so I thought that I would
since I had the information handy.

Trevor.

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]