Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default 45 to 78

In article , Trevor wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
Here are a couple of specialty products designed for accurate playback
of older recordings, including 78 RPM records.

78 RPM and RIAA Preamplifier
http://www.vadlyd.dk/English/RIAA_an...PM_preamp.html

The Vadlyd MD12 Mk3 comes from Denmark and is distributed in the U.S.
by Master Digital Corporation of Covington, Louisiana.

Vadlyd MD12 Mk3 78 rpm & RIAA Phono Preamplifier
http://www.masterdigital.com/24bit/vadlydmd12.htm

And from KAB Electro - Acoustics in Plainfield, New Jersey, there's
the KAB Souvenir EQS MK 12.

KAB Souvenir EQS MK 12
http://www.kabusa.com/eqsmk12.htm

I haven't used the Vadlyd, but I have used the KAB and it's serviceable
and reasonably controllable for electrics. It's not enough for acoustics.

Manley and Millennia also have popular high end phono preamps with adjustable
equalization and a couple extra filters, which are also very fine.

Are you a millionaire then, or do you mean performing transfers for a price
for other rich people? Do you think spending ~$2k on a preamp alone will
turn your 78's into something sublime? What would you spend on the actual
turntable/cartridge/stylii selection, which is far more important?

The problem is that if you want consistent and repeatable equalization
settings, it costs money. Precision 10-turn pots and vernier controls are
expensive.

This is why so many people today are taking the computer equalization route,
using a flat preamp. It is a much less expensive method although it can be
less convenient.

Personally I am using a homebrew preamp with vernier and stepped controls,
and I suspect if I had to build one today using all-new parts instead of
military surplus avionics stuff, I'd be paying more than $2k in pots alone.

Also, and at a much lower price point of USD $635.00, there's the
Model 4010 Preamplifier (aka "The Restoration Preamp") from TDL
Technology, Inc. of Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Model 4010 (aka "The Restoration Preamp") Preamplifier
http://www.tdl-tech.com/data4010.htm

Still seems expensive to me, but each to their own.....

I have a friend who uses one, and it's not bad at all. However, if I were
on a real budget, I would look into the Re-Equalizer from Esoteric Sound.
The Re-Equalizer goes after your existing RIAA preamplifier, and it adds
compensation filters so that you can set up one or two filters with adjustable
turnover (but fixed slope) for electric recordings.

For acoustics, I really recommend an Orban 674..... but don't expect
repeatability....