Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Frank is offline

Default 45 to 78

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 08:46:28 +1000, in 'rec.audio.pro',
in article 45 to 78,
"Trevor" wrote:

"PStamler" wrote in message
On the other hand, the OP mentioned needinig to transfer 850 records.
For a job that big, it's worth building a simple flat preamp,

Agreed.

or buying one (there's a flat preamp that costs about $150 available from
the same folks who sell DC EIGHT). Or you could adapt the Hagerman
preamp for flat response -- it's pretty reasonably priced, though it
comes without a box.

Most phono pre-amps use CR feedback networks and could easily be modified as
an alternative to building or buying a new one. Not a job for everyone of
course :-)

Trevor.

Here are a couple of specialty products designed for accurate playback
of older recordings, including 78 RPM records.

78 RPM and RIAA Preamplifier
http://www.vadlyd.dk/English/RIAA_an...PM_preamp.html

The Vadlyd MD12 Mk3 comes from Denmark and is distributed in the U.S.
by Master Digital Corporation of Covington, Louisiana.

Vadlyd MD12 Mk3 78 rpm & RIAA Phono Preamplifier
http://www.masterdigital.com/24bit/vadlydmd12.htm

And from KAB Electro - Acoustics in Plainfield, New Jersey, there's
the KAB Souvenir EQS MK 12.

KAB Souvenir EQS MK 12
http://www.kabusa.com/eqsmk12.htm

Both of these are higher-end products. The Vadlyd MD12 Mk3 is priced
at USD $1,960.00 and the KAB Souvenir EQS MK 12 is USD $1625.00.

I've never used either, but if I ever found myself in a situation
where I was performing serious 78 RPM record transfers, I'd certainly
consider them.

Also, and at a much lower price point of USD $635.00, there's the
Model 4010 Preamplifier (aka "The Restoration Preamp") from TDL
Technology, Inc. of Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Model 4010 (aka "The Restoration Preamp") Preamplifier
http://www.tdl-tech.com/data4010.htm

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]