Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default 45 to 78

Buzz wrote:

"Cyberserf" a écrit dans le message de news:
I've had a bunch (850ish) 78rpm disc dropped off today, and I'd like to
digitize them. I've had good success with 33 and 45rmp record and various
post processing (dehiss, declick, depop, compress, mash and torture), but
my
only player that can handle 78s is...well...old and does not have any
outputs from the stylus (really a needle...seriously)except those to the
cone. My question is pretty straightforward: Has anyone had luck recording
78 at 45 rpm digitally and speeding it up using a software solution, and
if
so, what was the software used? I figure if someone can make Britney sound
ok, this must be feasible and, regardless, I'm gonna try, so if someone
can
save me the experimentation, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks in advance, CS

You can find my way of doing 78rpm with a 45rpm player =

http://www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html

I think the word "restoring" should not be used for the method you
describe; perhaps the word "hearing" would be more appropriate.
Restoration implies that some sort of care has been taken to produce
results which represent the historic material at its best, whereas the
method you have described will only give a travesty of the original
sound. You have not described any feature which is appropriate for
78s.

If someone tells you to photograph an historic painting illuminated by
sodium light without even bothering to clean dirt off the glass - then
suggests that if you attempt to correct the errors in Photoshop, you
would have no difficulty in seeing that this was not restoration. It
might be a useful way to see what the picture contained, but it would
not even be a good representation of it.

Similarly, your method would be a useful way to hear what a 78
contained, expecially for someone who had no other means of playing it,
but it is not a restoration process and much of the original sound
quality would be lost. Your website perpetuates the myth that the sound
quality of 78s is poor and not worth taking the trouble to get right. I
can understand why you might think that if you have never played a 78
correctly.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk