Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default 45 to 78

PStamler wrote:

I actually record 78s flat all the time now, and do the EQ at my
leisure during post-production. I think the results have always
sounded at least as good as doing the EQ in the preamp, and often
better.

I do this also and it works very well, BUT if you do this, don't try and
use a microphone preamp. The cartridge MUST have proper 47k loading, and
the easy way to do this, if you don't want to build anything or spend a lot
of money for a purpose-built archive unit, is to use an RIAA preamp.