Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default 45 to 78

In article , Cyberserf wrote:
I've had a bunch (850ish) 78rpm disc dropped off today, and I'd like to
digitize them. I've had good success with 33 and 45rmp record and various
post processing (dehiss, declick, depop, compress, mash and torture), but my
only player that can handle 78s is...well...old and does not have any
outputs from the stylus (really a needle...seriously)except those to the
cone. My question is pretty straightforward: Has anyone had luck recording a
78 at 45 rpm digitally and speeding it up using a software solution, and if
so, what was the software used? I figure if someone can make Britney sound
ok, this must be feasible and, regardless, I'm gonna try, so if someone can
save me the experimentation, I'd be grateful.

Yes, you can do it, but the equalization constants for the RIAA EQ will
all be different. If you double the speed, you double the turnover
frequency.

Although of course it's sort of academic since the 78 EQ won't be RIAA
anyway.

On top of which you will need an array of different styli to play 78s,
since none of them are the same width grooves as LPs, and the widths
vary.

I would recommend that you call Esoteric Audio in Chicago. Purchase
the cheapest 78 turntable they have and the Re-Equalizer (which is not
really a good solution for dealing with emphasis issues, but it's a start
and it's fairly cheap). Get a 2.7 mil stylus, a 3 mil stylus, and a
3.2 mil stylus.

That will basically get you set up to do low-grade transcriptions of
most electrical discs and have them not sound too bad.

With LPs and 45s the key to a low noise floor is cleaning... but with
shellac 78s there's only so much that cleaning can do since there is
abrasive mixed into the pressing. Whatever you do, don't run a shellac
78 through the cleaning machine. Wash them by hand with a laboratory
cleaner like Alconox, or with Ivory Soap if you have nothing better.