Marc

Default Need help wiring speakers

If you are willing to solder you might do just as well to solder it
yourself. Soldering iron can be bought for under $10, and solder is
cheap. Usually on new car speakers the two terminals you see are
rectangular - the large one being the + and the small one being the -
(ground). If you don't want to solder to the terminals directly you
can buy spade connectors at Radio Shack, or some place like that and
then use a crimper tool (about $10 again) to crimp the wire onto the
spade connector and then just push the spade connector on to the
speaker terminals (that is what most installation places do). You need
to get the right size spades for the wire (usually 16-18 guage (AWG)
).
The black wire is normally ground (-) and the red is +. If one of the
wires has a white stripe on it, then this is the ground (-).
Don't be afraid.....confidence is everything.

Good luck

"Chris Fonville" wrote in message ...
Well I went to wal-mart and an auto parts store, but neither had a speaker
harness. I have found one on the internet for $7 not including shipping.
That seems pretty expensive when I could just cut the wires, splice them,
and then have someone solder the wires to the new speaker. The nearest best
buy or circuit city is over an hour away and I'm not planning on going for
awhile. Is there another place that I could try? Radioshack? Electronics
Express? Also, since the screws aren't lining up, will I need to get an
adapter? Or should I try to drill new holes? Thanks,
Chris

"mayhemkrew" wrote in message
goto your local best buy or circuit city shop and pick up a speaker

harness.
It will adapt the factory speaker harness to your new speakers, it also
helps with knowing which wire is positive and which is negative. They

only
cost like $5.99 a pair. Bring in your old factory speaker so the guys can
get you the correct harness on your first visit.

"Chris Fonville" wrote in message
This is my first time installing speakers, so I'm new at the whole

thing.
have taken my door panel off and have removed my old factory speakers.
However, the wiring isn't the same (the factory speakers have the
connections right beside each other in an L shape, while my new speakers
have the two metal pieces separated about an inch). How should I go

about
wiring the new speakers? Will I have to cut the wire from the black
connector? I don't have anything to solder with, so how would I attache

the
wires? Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris