"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 10 Oct 2005 00:43:30 GMT, "
wrote:

"Mike Gilmour" wrote in message

Stewart would have chosen both his amplifier and speakers carefully from
the
high-end component selection available at that time using both his
engineering and sonic judgements.

He has stated many times that he got the Krell amp at a price that mad it
good buy and because of it's reputation it was good to have as an
unassailable reference.

Quite so, and it's always amusing to see the 'high-enders' thrashing
both ends of the same strawman. I get frequent snide comments that if
I'm an 'objectivist', why do I not change my Krell and Apogee for
Pioneer and Bose (although strangely, my 'entry level high end' vinyl
replay gear never gets attacked.......).

Note that they always mnention the speakers, despite *no one* ever
having suggested that speakers don't make a difference. Note also that
these comments are always made by regular posters who are well aware
of the philosophy behind my purchases, so these questions are
fundamentally dishonest.

At the same time, any 'objectivist' who is *not* in possession of
fancy label 'high end' gear is always told that he has 'obviously'
never heard really good reproduction. Fascinating arguments, no?
--

If by that you mean tired, old, and demonstrably untrue, then yes.
The snobbery of audiophiles has always been bewildering to me. I don't know

I have a very hard time with the idea that there is much to claim as high
end other than speakers. I can understand why it might be so in turntables,
as there is a fair amount of precision involved, but I don't see the need to
invest that kind of money for an antique playback mode. And yes before
anybody asks again, I have heard some of the very best turntables made.
None of them ever beat out a good recording on CD, for me.

Would I be correct in assuming that you agree that for loudspeakers there
are not many that can equal or even compete with the current Dynaudio
products?

Anything other than Sigried Linkwitz's that are good in DIY?