Bill Van Dyk

Can you correct me if I'm wrong-- it appears to me that the new Hi-MD
still records in a proprietary compression algorithym, but you are able
to convert it to a wave file on your computer.

If true, that would make it considerably less attractive as a medium,
wouldn't it?

Bob Cain wrote:

S O'Neill wrote:

Crabshell wrote:

I apologize if this is the wrong newsgroup for a newbie. I want to
make digital recordings from an analog source -- mostly transferring
albums and tapes to a lossless digital format. Are there any sound
and performance advantages of DAT vs MiniDisc?

DAT is lossless, MD is lossy (ATRAC).

The latest generation, Hi-MD, can record 16 bit uncompressed PCM. Info at:

http://www.minidisc.org

Bob