Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default How do you personally shop for Hi-Fi speakers?

On 18/06/2017 12:44 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 6/17/2017 9:54 AM, wrote:
My concern specifically is with a trend I
perceive, real or not

It's not real. Your perception is just your imagination going wild. Have
a cup of tea, or pet your dog.

I'd be willing to bet money that in 10-20 years the average CONSUMER
speaker, for use in the HOME, will have a much lower impedance than
they do presently.

I'll trade bets with you. In 10-20 years, nobody at the consumer level
will care about impedance or even know what it means. Loudspeakers will
have evolved so that all of them will have integrated power amplifiers.
Furthermore, analog audio inputs will disappear like the headphone jack
on an iPhone. If your JVC amplifier is still working then (and it
probably will be, if you don't connect 3 ohm speakers and run it at
house-filling volume) you will have difficulty finding a loudspeaker as
we know it today. You may be able to find drivers and you can design and
build your own enclosure, however.

Thekma being able to "design and build" his own enclosure, now that's a
laugh! :-)
And I'm not so sure his JVC will last that long anyway. He wouldn't be
able to fix it, and he'll find out it is not economic to get someone
else to fix it for him when caps, pots etc finally need replacing, even
if he doesn't blow it up first.

Trevor.