Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

Default 0dBFS+ Levels in Digital Mastering

Randy Yates writes:

writes:

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 8:55:19 AM UTC-4, None wrote:
"Randy Yates" wrote in message
A transformation T is linear iff

T(a*x1 + b*x2) = a*T(x1) + b*T(x2)

So let's consider a very simple limiter that does this:

L(x) = x, |x| 1
L(x) = sgn(x) * 1, |x| = 1.

Is this linear by the definition above? Nope. Here's
a simple counterexample.

Hi Randy,
agreed, except that what is described above I would call a clipper, not a limiter...

If it alters the envelope AND the waveform, its a clipper.

If it alters only the envelope and NOT the waveform, its a limiter, compressor or AGC.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Define envelope. Define waveform.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is this: If the system is not linear,
then you will introduce frequencies that weren't in the original input

I also do not know what you mean by the terms "envelope" and
"waveform" in this context.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs