Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

Default Vinyl to CD on a PC

Serge Auckland wrote:
wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Glenn Richards wrote:

Unless they otherwise unobtainium, the novelty of LP-CD transfers will wear
off after approx 3 LPs. Especially if you subsequently hear a real CD of
the album.

That is true if one of the following circumstances exist.
1. Your TT gear sucks
2. You are near deaf
3. You are so consumed by anti analog biases that it takes over your
judgement.

Scott

Scott, I disagree:

OK.

1) My TT gear definitely does not suck (EMT 948 and AEG TRS9000)

Not my cup of tea but it doesn't suck.

2) I am not near deaf
3) I enjoy playing vinyl

But: the quality of my CDs generally (with one or two exceptions out of
many hundred of CDs)is better than all my vinyl. Even when I have the
same recording on CD and vinyl, I enjoy the CD more. Quieter, less
distortion, no pops.

OK then there may be a very particular taste in colorations that you
have. But it says bias to me. What CDs and LPs are we talking about
here? Certainly we are not talking about anything out of the
London?Decca classical catalog. There CDs are terrible for the most
part while their vinyl, if you get the right versions, is stunning. I'm
talking night and day difference here. We can't be talking about the
Blue note catalog. Until recently their CDs were abortions of the
originals. Can't be talking Riverside/fantasy jazz catalog either. What
about popular music? Simon and Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, Yes, Genesis,
Led Zeppelin, CCR, CSNY, The Guess Who, Roy Orbison etc etc? Ceratainly
there are some CDs that out perform any vinyl version of a given title
but IME they are in the vast minority. Two out of several hundred? I
think there is a problem there. Frankly I would say the same if one
were to say the same in favor of LPs. Of course one has to seek out the
best of each format. In most cases there are more than one version of
any given title on CD and on LP. AND the equipment makes a very big
difference. With all due respect, your rig, while collectable, is not
exactly high end in performance. No, it doesn't suck but it is not what
I would use for sound quality. Not by a long shot.

If you don't find the same, then that's your opinion and privilege to
hold such opinion, but it is far from universal.

Of course it isn't universal but amoung those audiophiles I know that
actually pay close attention to the sound quality of the vast array of
issues of popular titles, vinyl is largely the over all winner in most
cases.

Scott