Posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Ian Jackson Ian Jackson is offline

Default OK to use TV coax for microphone?

In message , Chris Siz
writes
I am in the UK and have a 10m length of some cheap TV aerial coax. It
came from a discount store as a TV coax extension cable. I measure the
cable diameter as 4.8mm.

(1) Is it ok to use this sort of coax for a microphone? I don't want
an impaired audio signal. The length I need to use is 3 to 4 metres.

(2) Is it ok for UHF TV or is it actually quite low grade coax and
prone to interference or mess up the aerial signal?

While you might get away with using your cable, good screening/shielding
becomes increasing important at the lower frequencies, as the
interfering signals (on the outside of the coax) penetrate more easily
through the outer shield. Well-screened audio would be better. In many
cases, 'flimsy' screening may be adequate at UHF (and the cable may have
low loss) but, again, well-screened cable will be better for preventing
interference. Maybe it's a case of try it and see what happens?
--
Ian