Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck[_2_] Peter Wieck[_2_] is offline

Default I just am not satisfied

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 7:09:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I just am not satisfied with the sound from any solid state amplifiers.
I have tried high end home amps and even some top of the line amps made
for commercial use. (Stage equipment).

If you are using a Class D amp, they are utterly merciless when it comes to bad signal or poor speakers. And, they have a few additional issues, none of which are insurmountable.

Tube amps clip softly, and in some cases 'mold' the music to sound less edgy. In fact, they are _REMOVING_ or _ALTERING_ signal thereby.

Meaning that you may be hearing stuff for the first time with your SS amp - and what you are hearing may not be what you like. But, that does not change the fact that it is there.

Then, of course, there are the speakers. I keep Maggie MGIIIas with the outboard crossovers. My 75 wpc/rms tube amp is very nearly useless driving them, but my 225 wpc/rms SS amp does quite nicely.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA