Posted to rec.music.gdead,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default 24-bit on tap at Apple?

"MadManMoon" wrote in
message

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:36:47 -0700, Edwin Hurwitz
wrote:

That's because in vinyl land they are trying to maximize
the dynamic range in the face of the limitations of the
medium,

The slew rate (speed) of the cutting lathe's tool head,
and the limits of the playback stylus' ability to read a
given peak. What is the window of operation that Vinyl
enjoys?

If memory serves, vinyl's dynamic range starts falling pretty rapidly above
about 8 KHz.

While CD-4 recordings were made with 30+ KHz carriers on them, those signals
were cut at very low levels. Playing them tends to erase them after a few
playings, even with the best cartridges and stylii. People I know who have
experimented with CD4 tell me that about 10 playings is it.