Posted to rec.music.gdead,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
MadManMoon MadManMoon is offline

Default 24-bit on tap at Apple?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:36:47 -0700, Edwin Hurwitz

"David" wrote:

"Trevor" wrote in message

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
m...
Even if the source material was marginal, you'd still have sonic
advantages with a CD. For example, the elimination of ticks and pops,
wow-and-flutter, and rumble. But I miss my anti-static gun, dirt
brush, and Yamaha direct-drive turntable nonetheless...

Gee I sure don't!
And I certainly don't miss the ticks, pops, wow, flutter, and rumble
either. Nor the cost of replacement stylii or cartridges. Or trying to
find decently made vinyl records in the first place! In fact I can't think
of one thing I miss besides the bigger cover art. But the storage hassle
more than negates that IMO.

Yet another person that hasn't listened to a recent release on vinyl and
compared it to the same release on CD then?
You'd be eating your words if you had. For some reason the sound engineers
that mix vinyl, in general, don't compress the hell out of the dynamic range
like they do CD.

That's because in vinyl land they are trying to maximize the dynamic
range in the face of the limitations of the medium,

The slew rate (speed) of the cutting lathe's tool head, and the limits
of the playback stylus' ability to read a given peak. What is the window
of operation that Vinyl enjoys?

while with CDs they
are knuckling under to pressure from the bean counters to make the CD as
loud as possible.

Not in all cases. Just "modern" music, and "modern" producers and
engineers even. In the beginning folks actually tried to compose
acceptable mix-downs from the multi-track masters that were used to make
the lathe head mix downs.

I remember lyrics like "..when honor meant more to a man than life..."
AND the music that went with it.

For some reason when people listen to CDs they can't
find the volume knob and just turn the damn thing up.

The problems go far deeper than that.

Oh well. At lest we *should* be able to make a good transition to high
clarity, low noise recorded tracks.

Hell, I should be able to do pretty good right here on my PC, on my 8
year old Sound Blaster. Atlast compared to some of what I have heard on
disc.

I STILL say that one of the best albums ever made, despite having a
couple gaps and other artifacts, is a live album.

James Gang, Live At Carnegie Hall

THAT was what "loud" rock and roll was about. It would be cool if Joe
would get that band back together and do that tour again with modern amps
and drivers!

You should give it a listen LOUDLY. If you can't, then use headphones
or even ear plug types. Excellent album.