Posted to rec.music.gdead,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Edwin Hurwitz Edwin Hurwitz is offline

Default 24-bit on tap at Apple?

In article ,
"David" wrote:

"Trevor" wrote in message

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
m...
Even if the source material was marginal, you'd still have sonic
advantages with a CD. For example, the elimination of ticks and pops,
wow-and-flutter, and rumble. But I miss my anti-static gun, dirt
brush, and Yamaha direct-drive turntable nonetheless...

Gee I sure don't!
And I certainly don't miss the ticks, pops, wow, flutter, and rumble
either. Nor the cost of replacement stylii or cartridges. Or trying to
find decently made vinyl records in the first place! In fact I can't think
of one thing I miss besides the bigger cover art. But the storage hassle
more than negates that IMO.

Yet another person that hasn't listened to a recent release on vinyl and
compared it to the same release on CD then?
You'd be eating your words if you had. For some reason the sound engineers
that mix vinyl, in general, don't compress the hell out of the dynamic range
like they do CD.

That's because in vinyl land they are trying to maximize the dynamic
range in the face of the limitations of the medium, while with CDs they
are knuckling under to pressure from the bean counters to make the CD as
loud as possible. For some reason when people listen to CDs they can't
find the volume knob and just turn the damn thing up.