Posted to rec.music.gdead,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design

Default 24-bit on tap at Apple?

On 2/27/2011 9:10 AM Randy Yates spake thus:

On 02/27/2011 12:04 AM, MalcolmO wrote:

Hear, hear!

Today people get recording contracts based on how photogenic they
are. Machines sing them into tune. AND THEN

Most commercial recordings today are released in a form which is
far less than "16-bit" in quality - they have been deliberately
compressed during the mastering process to sound "louder".
They've been quashed, pummeled, clipped, gain-ridden, smelched,
and squeezed down into a tiny dynamic range.

And they wonder why we don't buy records!

I thought it may be interesting to suggest some pre-digital era albums that
were of better source quality than much of what gets put into 1's and 0's
these days.

How about, "Year of the Cat", by Al Stewart?

I see you, and raise you: John McLaughlin/One Truth Band's "Electric
Dreams", @1979. (Completely analog, so far as I can tell.)

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet