Posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Chris Siz Chris Siz is offline

Default OK to use TV coax for microphone?

On Sat 03 May 2008 22:24:49, Dead Paul wrote:

On Sat, 03 May 2008 19:39:45 +0100, Walt Davidson wrote:

On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:05:41 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

TV coax is very brittle. The inner wire is copper-plated steel
and the outer shield is aluminum wire and aluminum foil. It will
quickly crack where it meets the connectors.

What planet do you live on? I have never seen TV coax as you
describe. Coax with copper-plated steel inner conductor is mostly
used as data cable (ethernet).

You want to see the crap which passes for rg58 at maplin
electronics.

Maplins selling crap merchandise doesn't surprise me. (Though to be
fair, it does sell the odd good item too.)

But where would I go to get half-decent cables in relatively short
lengths (not 50m drums) without paying a fortune for ultra quality
dedicated-hobbyist stuff or exhorbitant delivery charges?