chung

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

S888Wheel wrote:

There's no accounting for taste.

I thought taste was considered subjective by objectivists.

And your point being?

Read the next line I wrote.

Which was totally irrelevant to my statement that there is no accounting
for taste. Meaning you can't argue about someone else's taste. Meaning
there are many people with taste that you would consider poor.

Oh, c'mon. You took a shot at MF's taste.

Oh yeah?

Yeah!

No sense wasting bandwidth arguing about what I said vs. what you think
I said. In any event that was totally irrelevant to why I said the amp
was not listening to.

(snip)

You were asking about eaxamples of
people getting banged around on RAHE? here is a fine one.

Actually MF does not post here, so that fails to apply as an example.

Did I qualify my claim that people get knocked around on RAHE by limmiting it
to people who post here? No I did not.

But I was asking for examples of when posters posted their opinions here
and got banged around. You did not provide any such examples, as of yet.

If you want to make a general claim that people got banged around on
this newsgroup, that example still does not qualify. Unless you believe
that criticizing someone's review is banging people around.

It applies as an example. What's the
point in citing examples if you cannot recognize an example when one is cited?

Irrelevant question since you are not citing examples that I was asking for.

But if you think that being challenged for raving about a 2W amp that is
spec'd at 150W, and by the way, costs $350K, qualifies as being banged
around, well, he would not get any sympathy from me .

No I think comments like "there is no acounting for taste" which is a common
insult is being banged around.

I will remember that you have the ability to take a general truism as an
insult to a specific yet-unnamed person.

I suppose you
wouldn't feel insulted if I infered that you had poor taste because your
subjective impressions didn't fall in line with my presumptions?

Actually, I would have expected that you don't think much about my taste
in hi-fi equipment, but that is neither here nor there. IOW, totally
irrelevant to the discussion of whether the amp is broken or not.

That wasn't the point. The point was your comment was insulting to MF.

Only the way you want to interpret it. But we are wasting bandwidth here.

(snip)

Maybe
you really didn't realize it but it was quite insulting. At least I would have
been insulted by it. No big deal, it happens often on RAHE but an insult is
what it is.

Are you now saying
that MF may simply have inferior taste?

"Simply"?

Yes, I said simply.

It is obvious that someone who can rave about the wonderful
sound of an amp that clips at 2W has, uh, unconventional, taste.

How do you know? You have never heard the amp in question.

Do you understand the meaning of "unconventional"? How many people you
know will rave about the sound of a 2W amp that is spec'ed at 150W?

I have asked for some clarification on this issue. No one has been

forthcoming.
Let's take a practical example. My speakers are very inefficient, about

84db.
If this amp is clipping at 2 watts then I shouldn't be able to get much

more
than 87db of sound from them with a test signal should I?

Since you have the habit of not forming any opinion until you listen to
it first, I would recomend that you listen to it instead of worrying
about how much power you are getting out of it.

So much for those who are more technical helping with technical information. By
the way, there is nothing subjective about my question. The answer does not
depend on me listening to anything. I'd have thought a technically inclined
fellow such as yourself would have seen that at first glance.

But you still want to listen to it first in any case, right? And why
would you assume that just because you asked the question someone has to
help you answer it? You have to do some research yourself at some time.
You know, like actually reading the measurements.

I should think so, considering the broken
manner it was operating most of the time.

Broken? It was not operating as it was designed to operate? to me,
broken
means
it doesn't work as it is supposed to work or not at all.

If as goFab says, the rated power is 150W/ch and it clips at 2W, it's
broken. It certainly is not working as it's supposed to.

Or they are not giving straight info on the power rating.

You mean as in lying?

No I didn't mean that. It may very well be a lie. I am in no position to
make
that acusation.

Well, if it's not lying, then it's gross incompetence. Or gross
negligence. Or cheating. Which is it? A typo?

A question worth persuing I think. If it is a lie it is serious.

If it's not a lie, then what is it?

I'm trying to figure out just what it is. It would help if my questions were
answered. They are not rhetorical questions.

Don't you have access to the measurements? Or do you simply not trust them?

For kicks lets
say I was purchasing this amp. Even with my inefficient speakers I would be
expecting to get over a 100 db pl;ayback levels if called for in the

material I
am playing. If this amp is clipping at 87 db could it possibly even

approach my
expected sound preasure levels at all much less do so an still sound

anything
like music?

I have no idea what you consider "sounding anything like music". But for
me, an amp that can only produces 93dB SPL at 1 m (and a pretty
efficient speaker at that) is simply not acceptable.

Still not answering the questions, oh well. You could have ignored the issue of
what I consider 'sounding anything like musi' and gone with the first part. I'd
be expecting SPLs of over 100 db, could this amp produce any sound within a few
db of that if it clips at 2 watts?

Again, read the measurements!

(snip)

You think an amp that clips at 93 dB SPL at 1m is good enough to handle
the dynamics of the kind of music you listen to? Well, it certainly
saves you a lot of money...unless you want this amp by WAVAC.

Is it clear that the amp ain't gonna put out much more than 93 db of

sound?

Do you like clipping distortion? If you do, then maybe you can squeeze
out another couple of dB.

Here's a problem I am having with this though. When I auditioned a WAVAC

amp
that WAVAC rated at 50 watts it was able to play louder than my Creek
integrated amp that is rated at 20 watts. Now if WAVAC is in the habbit of

such
gross misrepresentations of power output one has to wonder what the true

output
of 50 watt WAVAC is. Even if it is only doing as well as it's big. very big
brother it should not be able to play louder than the 20 watt Creek.

Now, do you understand why we said the amp is broken?

But it did
without sounding *grossly* distorted. So what is going on here. Do you

think
that the big WAVACs really won't produce much more than 87 db on my current
speakers that are about 84 db in efficiency?

I'm afraid you have to do the research yourself. But if the measurements
indicate the amp clips at 2W, well, you got your answer right there.
Unless the amp clips at a different point with different load
impedances. But even then the differences are small, a few dB at the most.

I don't have much of any answer. I'll make the question really simple. Can a 2
watt amp possibly produce higher maximum SPL than a "competen" SS 20 watt amp
on the same speakers?

Just read the measurements!