Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default PreSonus 1810 audio interface.

In article , Tobiah wrote:
But really, the NT1 isn't a very quiet microphone.

NT1-A. I was under the impression that given its high output and low
self noise that it was a phenomenal choice for the application given a
hobby budget.

Oh, it is. But foley work is about the most demanding job ever as far as
noise levels go. There's a reason why the MKH-20 costs a lot more.

But I'll try the resistor trick. Maybe the mic is the
source of the noise and the high gain just exposes that.

Noise comes from everywhere. It's in the preamp, in the microphone
electronics, and mechanically due to brownian movement in the capsule itself.
It's also in the room... you may not notice the room noise but the microphone
will. All of these need to be addressed as much as possible because they all
add up.