Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default replacement amp for a mono tube EMT 140

Christian Best wrote:
thanks guys,,
i take your advice on board,,if i could get the original pick ups i'd go there,but its seems impossible to find them.

checked an old gearslutz post saying the upgrade kit from martin sound is $2500.
thats out of my budget right now unfortunately.

I believe that kit contains a second pickup, or at least it used to.

If that's out of your budget, consider buying a used Sony DPS V-77. It is
not a perfect plate emulation, but it's a pretty good plate emulation. It's
as good as the fancy Yamaha modelling reverb unit.

i might get a local tech to try emulate it from schematic's. (amp 162)

If you can get someone to do that for $2500, you're doing great. I'd
probably charge that much just for chassis machining.

does anyone know of an amp that might be a good starting place to replace the driver amp,
surely the pick up's are a pretty simple case of amplifying the signal,this like anything sound source is affected by the type of pre and id be comfortable to have a decent enough pre do that job.

If you use something other than the original electronics, it won't sound
the same. If you use different pickups, it will sound really not the same.
If it doesn't sound the same, what is the point of having an EMT anyway?