Posted to rec.audio.car
brianlanning brianlanning is offline

Default alpine head unit amp problem

MOSFET wrote:
For instance, did you remove your HU for some reason and then put it back
and THEN the problem started? It's possible your HU is not getting a good
ground anymore, that might cause this problem.

At first, I thought this was the problem. So I grounded the hu to the
cig lighter ground. It worked fine for a while but the problem
returned.

So, if I were you, the first thing I would check is the input voltage at the
HU. Make sure it is getting AT LEAST 11-12 volts. Your sub amp may be
drawing so much current that perhaps your car voltage is dropping too low.

It's possible. I have the hu wired into the power source that the
original factory hu was using. It probably is drawing more current
than the factory unit was. But wouldn't I blow the fuse before the
internal amp would shut down? Maybe not. It looks like the rest of
the hu is totally happen when the amp shuts down. It looks to me like
the real solution is the external amps I ordered.

That would CERTAINLY cause your HU to shut down it's internal amps (or shut
down completely). Check that out first with a voltmeter. If that is fine,
make sure your HU is getting a good ground.

it's around 12.5 volts.

It might be a dud but as long as it's powering the preamp outs, I
probably don't care as long as the rest of the hu keeps working, which
it looks like it is.

brian