Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

Default Running 8ohm speakers on 4ohm tap of tube amp

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Ace Rimmer wrote:

Andre wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:

Good?
You get less power
Bad?
Won't hurt the amplifier or speaker
Snake oil?
If it's done for any other reason then
that there is no 8-Ohm output or 4 Ohm
speaker available,.. it's snake oil, yeah.

Andre

I read somewhere (wish i could find it now) that it improved dampening.

You mean damping and yes it will increase the damping factor. Proponents
of
the SET however prefer the 'improvement' of low damping factor, which
tends
to rather sloppily 'enhance' the bass registers.

Graham

It can make a big difference, and can be useful for system tuning. I have 6
ohm speakers, and in a small room (my old apartment), they need the 4 ohm
tap, with its better control over the speakers, which tended to sound boomy
on the 8 ohm tap in that environment. In a large room, the 8 ohm tap gives a
slight bass boost at resonance, which is just what the speakers need to
sound their best, as room enhancement is nowhere near what it is in a small
room. It's not a gross difference, but it's definitely the difference
between good and amazing sound.

It increases the damping factor, because the output impedance (Thevenin
series resistance) of the output tube is being stepped down to half the
value on the 4 ohm tap than the 8 ohm tap.