Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default The death of audio

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

wrote in message
I just don't want to be forced to have to buy all new peripherals after
buying a new display, that's all.

It is still pretty common for new video gear to have component video (CV)
inputs, which generally includes standard L & R RCA jack audio audio inputs.

Some AVRs convert standard analog audio inputs into HDMI and some don't, so
that can be a way to use legacy audio gear with modern flat screen TVs. My
Denon AVR 1613 does. My Yamaha doesn't.

You can also find stand-alone CV to HDMI converters on eBay and at AV
stores.

I have bought a number of these HDMI to component converters and none of
them work very well. The last one I bought supposedly does HDMI to
either PbPyR or VGA. With either mode selected, the picture is so dark
you cannot see it without turning the black level all the way up (and
even then it looks awful) and the picture has streaks through it that
are very annoying especially with light foreground objects against a
dark background. I suspect it's the implementation of Intel's HDCP
that's the culprit here. I'm going to have to wait until my 58" Elite
HDTV finally dies before I can justify spending the dough for a new
HDMI-equipped flat-screen (of at least 60").