Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in
message
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 02:00:26 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Science isn't complicated. Science has the answers.
Always. Every time. Audiophool 'BELIEF' (a.k.a religion)
counts for nothing in the real world..

But I'll give you an alternative viewpoint: Science *is*
complicated. Science has the questions. Sometimes, if
we're lucky.

Pklease give modern science the credit it is due. Science has an incredibly
larage lot of very good relevant answers. Strictly speaking, all of the
answers that science has are provisional. There may be a better answer, a
new generation answer, around the corner.

Sometimes science's previous generation of answers are so good that we still
use them, even though we know better. One example is Newton's laws of
motion, as compared to the more recent, more complex Einsteinian laws of
motion. Newton's laws are still used almost all of the time, because they
are sufficiently accurate for almost all purposes.

Newtonian laws of motion are sufficient to explain how the mechanical parts
of a microphone work in everyday use. Ordinary electrical engineering is
sufficient to explain how the electrical parts work. Modern psychoacoustics
science is sufficient to explain how it all interacts with the ear.

Tom say that we have the answers is the end of science and
the beginning of religion.

With due respect, that's a straw man argument, because we don't need to
invent any new science, or claim that the old science has all the answers,
to figure out the sonic implications of capacitor upgrades to microphones.