Nousaine

Default Seeing/hearing and sighted/blind tests

"Bob Marcus" wrote:

Wheels wrote:

I am listening for the joy of listening to music. Part of that joy lies in
parts of the sound that is often lost in bad recordings and playback. none
of
it is ever completely captured even in the best recordings and playback.
You
may hear the inflections and other important aspects of a vocal performance
but
it is affected by the poor recording. It changes the affect of the
performance.
It changes the affect of the music as a whole. That is why the art of the
music
and the sound of the playback are inseperable.

This is only true for the tiny minority of music lovers in the world who are
audiophiles. The vast majority of music lovers do not find mediocre sound
reproduction to bother them in any way, or to detract from their
appreciation and enjoyment of music. For them, art and sound ARE quite
separable, and they care far more about the former. Perhaps they are the
lucky ones.

bob

In my case this is certainly true. I still have the 1941 AM Zenith table radio
I grew up with in the mid-50s listeing to R&B and Blues on WLAC radio from
Nashville, TN. While listening to reissue CDs I still don't get exactly the
same 'feeling' I had listening to "Earth Angel" or "In the Still of the Night"
or "I Only have Eyes for You" or "Since I Met You Baby" that had listening to
those performance on AM radio late at night trying to keep the volume down low
enough so my Mom would wake up and catch me.

That radio is still functioning but with music is practically unlistenable for
music "unless" those special tunes are being played.