Nousaine

Default Seeing/hearing and sighted/blind tests

"normanstrong" wrote:

"Mkuller" wrote in message
"Mkuller" wrote
To take this a step further - if the orchestral audition judges

were
to tape a
couple of the performances and put them to a panel DBT - I

suspect
the result
would be null - *no differences* between the two performances

(even
though we
know there are differences - like amplifiers that measure
differently.).

"normanstrong"
wrote:
Whoa there. I'd hate to have to back that statement up. I'm quite
sure that orchestral audition judges can tell the difference

between 2
different performances of the same material with the greatest of
ease--at least if the material is familiar. They may not agree on
which performance is the best, but you can bet they can tell one

from
the other.

How about if the DBT panel was made up of *average audiophiles*

like those
used in the comparisons between audio components to prove there are

no
differences - where the results are always null?
Regards,
Mike

If you're presented with 2 different performances of the same piece of
music, almost anyone will be able to tell the difference blind. Yes,
even you.

Norm

Straight up, Norm. I've three versions of Tom Waits "Old 55" in house right now
and they all sound different and they all sound great. Likewise with Leon
Russell's "Song For You." Often, like in these cases, the covers are better
interpretations of the orginals. Ray Charles "Song for You" beats out Leon and
especially Willie. Sara Maclachlan (sp?) is better that the Eagles which is
better than Waits. But I think that all of them are great.