Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Always wanted to try a Mac.

geoff wrote:
On 27/04/2019 1:04 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
.
The nice thing about the mac is that it has a decent command line and
you can do everything you need to do from the command line. Which,
given their history, is kind of ironic.

Start Menu, Run. Or WinKey+R, and if you really for some odd reason
want to laboriously type what a mouse click or two can do, WinKey+R,
then CMDF and you can do all sorts of command line 'fun' in a fully text
window.

The command line on Windows is like something out of the 1960s. By the
mid-70s most operating systems had far more flexible command lines.

As I said, Powershell helps a whole lot. Powershell has some design
problems; if you pipe an executable into another you need to be have enough
disk space to hold the entire contents of the pipe, which seems like a
very boneheaded design decision to me.

But if you have a directory of a thousand files with .bwav extensions and
you need to rename them all to have .wav extensions, you can do it in
powershell. Good luck trying it with command.com.

It's really nice to be able to script things and do bulk conversion
of files on OSX. Computers are supposed to do repetitive tasks for
you, not force you to do them yourself.

Um, isn't that what applications are for, irrespective of whichever OS ?

File manipulation and management and conversion should be part of the OS,
I shouldn't need to have to write or download an application to do that
sort of thing. If the OS doesn't do that sort of thing, what good is it?

Unless one is some sort of radical command-line fundamentalist.

I probably am. I don't want to take my hands off the keyboard if I can
help it. The GUI is a fine thing for applications like image and audio
editing, although to be honest I use protools without looking at the screen
most of the time. I just wish I had a real scrub knob on my keyboard.