Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Help modding a circuit: MultiVox MXD-5

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 8:47:58 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:

i realize this post is 7 years old but you said that you changed out the sp=
ring and i was wondering if you could tell me where the connections were on=
the PCB? Mine had the spring unit ripped right from the board with very li=
ttle of the wires remaining. i took a guess and rewired it but it doesn't w=
ork so i guess i did it wrong.
thank you

The spring unit only has four wires... two going in, two coming out. If you
put a 2" speaker across the two going on, you should hear the speaker making
some sound. If you put it across the two coming out, when you tap the speaker
you should have sound in the output. So you can use this as a diagnostic to
make sure the electronics are good.

You can also check the resistance across the spring unit with an ohmmeter....
if the values are very high, odds are the spring unit was damaged in the
tearing-out process and should be replaced. Antique Electronics Supply
will carry replacement Accutronics spring delays but you will have to make
sure the impedances are correct since there are a lot of different options.

OT:

Not sure why, but I was given (decades ago) a (used) reverb unit for car use. I could see it had a spring coupling two magnetic transducers, one would induce a magnetic field (audio signal) to vibrate the spring and a similar one would change the vibrations back to an audio signal. Never used it, just looked simple.

Jack