Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

Default Anything you think was consistently done better in the past inthe pro/commercial recording world than how it's done today?

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 1:44:32 PM UTC-4, Les Cargill wrote:
Chris K-Man wrote:
On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 12:48:08 AM UTC-4, ye.com wrote:
I'm talking about what one would label as the pro world of
recording of material for mass consumption.

Is there anything about a particular arena of recording - pop,
classical, opera, TV news, film, etc. - whatever - that you find
lacking compared to an earlier era despite all the technology? Or
do you think audio recording is at its zenith now?

______ I think our cultural 'zenith' was the years 1965 - 1985.

"Pulp Fiction" was in 1994.
The best movies, the best TV shows,

"Twin Peaks: The Return" was 2017. "The best" now comes from cable
channels or premium cable channels; we're generally considered to be
in a "golden age".

Are we? I dunno. Probably.
some of the best books, and
definitely, the best misic and best sound quality thereof. While
digital audio is the most transparent format for capturing and
playing back music, it has been abused terribly, by both engineers
and their cloents, especially from the late 1990s to mid-last
decade. And of course this led to the format being blamed,
resulting in the renaissance of tried and true analog formats such
as the vinyl LP.

Things like Beat Detective and Melodyne have apparently been abused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFaRIW-wZlw

--
Les Cargill

_______
Fer sure, there have been standouts before and since the period I referenced, just not at the same Gatlin gun rapid fire rate. Now is more like fire, load. lock. repeat. Single bolt action compared to then.