Posted to rec.audio.pro
external usenet poster

Default Zoom H6

On Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:25:39 AM UTC-7, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Best-sounding? Unlikely.

And where is the SoundField module?

Six simultaneous channel input! Use whatever mikes you want! Portable!

Flexible!

Mike preamps jammed into a tiny box with noisy digital electronics. Tiny

controls with multiple menus to do even the simplest of operations.

Clever.... these guys seem to have thought of everything as far as our

needs. Did you note the simultaneous -12 dB track just in case you went

overboard on the gain? Like, brilliant.

I think you need to try using some professional equipment and get some idea

of just what is out there and what is possible. Not that you can't make

good recordings with cheap gear, but it's a lot more work.

--scott

--

"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

These devices can make amazing quality recordings, despite all of the drawbacks that you, correctly, point out. I recently recorded a classical string trio using a zoom H2 and it's built-in microphones. I recorded it at 24-bit/96KHz stereo and then used Audacity to boost the bass a bit (luckily I found a frequency response graph of the H2's microphones on-line and was able to flatten the bass-out nicely (the mikes' low-end response is not terrible to begin with). The results are amazing. The recording COULD be released commercially and nobody would complain about the recordings audio quality at all. In fact several people to whom I have sent the file say that not only is it "audiophile quality" sound wise, but that the imaging is absolutely holographic!

Usually I use an Avantone CK-40 with a mixer and a Korg MR1 for most of my location work. I bought the Zoom H2 about 6 years ago as a backup or safety recorder. I just paralleled it with my mixer, hit "record" and let it go. Until August of this year, I had never used it's internal mikes before. I took it to a concert on a whim because, being self contained, I could just stick it in my pocket.