Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

Marc Wielage wrote:
On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 15:58:43 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

The most amazing recorder I have yet seen. I could get rid of my mixer,
multichannel recorder (Zoom R16) and my battery powered Phantom power
supply. It is a six channel recorder and full studio in a box!
------------------------------snip------------------------------

Get this instead:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/788t/

It costs about twenty times more ($8000) than the Zoom H6, but often in pro
sound, you get what you pay for. The Sound Devices is going to have far more
flexibility, reliability, better sound quality, and much, much quieter mic
preamps. Note that you'll still need microphones -- and you can't get six
great mics for $400, for the most part.

If you can't afford to buy one, RENT one.

--MFW

Just throwing this out there - Focusrite's USB2.0 line works with a
netbook for up to 18 channels ( two would have to be S/PDIF, eight
lightpipe ). That runs about (omitting the S/PDIF for now ):

$500 for the Focusrite
plus $500 for an Octopre ( or ADA8000 for less )
plus $250 for the netbook,
plus $60 for a Reaper license.
for around $1300

The preamps aren't all that noisy, and Reaper would probably*
enable a -20dB parallel track with a little finagling.

*meaning I know how I'd try to do it, but haven't - set up two
tracks from the same input(s) and throw a gain control plugin
on one.

--
Les Cargill