Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Wireless phones?

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 08:32:40 -0400, Mike Rivers
wrote:

On 4/24/2020 11:15 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
They are doubtless Bluetooth, and with Bluetooth you get delay.

If it's digital, there will be delay. We haven't solved that problem
yet. The question is how much, and how does it affect what you want to do.

Has anyone here tried playing an instrument (an all electronic one, to
be fair to the study) while monitoring through Bluetooth headphones and
said "AAAAAAKKKK! I can't play like this!?"

Or even better, set up an experiment to actually make a measurement?

Delay, or more properly latency will always feature in a wireless
link. Interference has to be overcome with error correction, and a big
part of that is forward correction which involves deconstructing the
digital bits and sending them at different times so a single blast of
noise won't destroy a whole word. At the receiving end all the bits
have to be gathered up and reassembled into bytes before decoding can
begin. That reassembly is the basic latency in the system, although
there are other sources on top. The better protected the system, the
lengthier the latency period. The lowest latency Bluetooth audio codec
I know of is 40mSec, and it is a bit fragile to interference.