Stewart Pinkerton

Default B&W Nautilus 804 inner wiring modification

On 18 Feb 2004 05:32:36 GMT, (Dick Pierce)
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message news:WitYb.51895$uV3.103980@attbi_s51...
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:18:27 GMT, "Wessel Dirksen"
wrote:

This is what I was referring to with the "ask an amp guy" line. And may
perhaps explain why beefing up the ground connections to a loudspeaker
driver tends to improve overall damping properties.

This is not true - I'm an amp guy......... :-). Electrical damping is
only of relevance *below* the fundamental resonance of the system,

No, this is most certainly not true. Damping is most significant
AT fundamental resonance. Why? Because this is the point where
the system is storing the most energy, it is the frequency at
which the total system losses are most significant, since it is
those losses (all of them) that determine damping. Above resonance,
the system is mass-controlled. Below resonance, the system is
stiffness-controlled. At resonance, it's resistance controlled.

I'm not getting this, since at resonance, the impedance of the speaker
will be at its highest, and therefore least sensitive to source
impedance variations. OTOH, below resonance, it rapidly reduces to a
value close to the DC resistance of the coil, and is directly
responsive to variations in source resistance. Perhaps we are using
the same words with different meanings. I am referring to 'damping
factor', of course I accept your definition regarding energy storage
and system losses.

Actually, it's been measurable at this level for more than 30 years.

Try twice that long!

60 years *is* more than 30 years - I chose my wording carefully, to
avoid rushing off to my references! :-)