Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

Audio_Empire wrote:

I agree. I've made recordings out-of-doors (not my call) and mostly
they were junk. Extremely dry, with absolutely no sense of space. If,
like me, you agree that the best recordings are those where the
instruments themselves are not miked, but rather the space they
occupy is miked, then you can see that out-of-doors, you are forced
to mike the instruments because obviously, one can't mike infinity
(all outdoors). With no boundaries (walls, ceiling) the sound just
disappears. I don't find it possible to make good STEREO recordings
outside. You might be able to make good multi-channel mono recordings
by close-miking everything and then mixing them together to
synthesize right, left and center channels and then add some
artificial reverb, but that's not really stereo (by definition and in
MY personal estimation).

Well, the main difference is that with that kind of miking the final result
would be to place the musicians in the playback space, usually with few
depth clues. Secondarily, you don't get the full sound power output of the
instruments either, because you are recording the direct output along only
one axis, which makes for poorer sound quality of any instrument.

Bottom line, instead of the music blowing, it would suck. Heh....

Gary Eickmeier