Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Default Low Frequency Mains Noise

Patrick Turner wrote:

Ian Bell wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
"Ian Bell"

Indeed. However, I would have expected the transformer to attenuate noise
in the 1Hz region
** Complete insanity.

Ordinary power transformers attenuate nothing coming it unless it is over 5
kHz.
** Complete fallacy.

Transformers by definition have a zero at zero Hz. They have a pole at
some frequency determined by the transformer inductance and the source
and load impedance. From that pole down to zero Hz their response falls
by at least 20dB/decade.
But you missed the reason why someone said "Complete insanity".

Transformers convey *all* the variations of mains amplitude, and its
these amplitude variations which are seen on the rectified signal at the
resovoir cap of the dc supply.

Hence there are *very* low frenquencies seen at the this resovoir
capacitor.

Try studying the way AM detectors work in radio sets using a diode and
RC network.

I realise that now. I am really disappointed that some members of this
group have to take such an arrogant stance in explaining things. All
that was necessary was to point out, as flipper did, that it is low
frequency amplitude modulation of the ac mains I am seeing. Asinine
remarks like 'try studying the way am detectors work' are singularly
unhelpful.

And apologies in advance for the rant.

There are others than yourself who read the news group. Some wouldn't
dare post here. Our questions and answers are informative to all readers
and not just for you.

Turning up here to ask questions when some of us have had to answer for
ourselves through diligent observations and reading books et all is
prone to getting a scorching from some of us.

I don't set out to flame anyone, but to only to inform, and there *is* a
big simularity between the principles in audio detection from AM waves
and mains borne noise voltages.

I really don't have a problem with your posts Patrick - that's why I
apologised in advance. It is not what people say, it is the way they say
it. Manners cost nothing.

Hope you have had a nice sunday.

Yes I have. It was my 58th birthday yesterday.

I rode 106km this morning on a bicycle, and pondered the greatness of
nature, recovered awhile, then went out to play chess and won more games
than I lost against a fat fellow who studies games with several computer
programs 7 days a week. I just play, and never study chess openings or
games. My rating if I had one would be only 1200. I keep telling this
fat fellow he should climb aboard a bicycle again like he used to and
pedal his way back to better physical and mental health, and I get away
with it because I am jovial about it. And when i lose a game I chuckle,
and see the folly of my games.

Occasionally I get a draw with the guy here who regularly is local club
champion and rated at about 2,000. If I ever see him with a screwdriver
in his hand, I snatch it away, and tell him to leave it alone because
he's likely to cause a major damage bill. Horses for courses. This guy
really hates to loose, which is one reason why he wins so often. But
he's a born natural at chess. Has the Chess gene.
Hopeless with tools, and understanding relationships, and doesn't follow
stories at the movies so I explain them like he explains a complex chess
game to me. I'll never be good at chess, and he'll never become a
cyclist. I value all my friends whose strengths and weaknesses are
different to my own and whose attitude allows some sharing of experience
of thought without being overrun by competitive sparing.

The fat guy who delves so deeply into openings and forcing a PC with a
chess rating of well over 2,000 into drawing a game doesn't realise the
human player with little more than crude intuitiveness can outwit a man
who tries to copy a computer.

This man had a really bad mental breakdown within the last 10 years.
Chess is good therapy for him.

Being perpetually logical, aware, and able to concentrate isn't easy for
all, and I sure could have been better at all 3.

I have a life at the keyboard here which augments what happens when I am
away from a damn keyboard.

I feel glad to be alive, don't you?

Very much so.

Cheers