Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default When music mattered more

In article ,
Signal wrote:

Jenn wrote:

I'm watching a Beverly Sills retrospective on PBS. I first saw it a few
months ago, and they are replaying it, no doubt, due to her death.

I'm reminded of a time when music mattered more than it seems to now.
She was all over the media in the 60s-90s: Johnny Carson as guest,
Johnny Carson as guest host, Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin, 60 Minutes
profiles, covers of Time and Newsweek, game shows, etc. She was part of
popular culture.

Now it seems like it's about scandal, "sexiness", the seven deadly sins.
That's what sells. You don't have to sing anywhere near in tune to be a
hit (listen to American Idol). Most every household knew her name. Now
most every household knows Michael Jackson's name.

She was a lovely lady; a devoted wife and daughter, doting mother to two
handicapped children. Later in life she raised millions for the New
York City Opera, then Lincoln Center, then The Met. And she was perhaps
the greatest singing actress we've yet seen.

OK, enough of my descent into "oldfartdom".

Errr... who?

Beverly Sills. Oh no; was I vague again?